From: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-desc-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Yaron Goland
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 7:13 PM
To: 'Amelia A Lewis'
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org
Subject: RE: optional messageReference attribute on interface definition
elements

Section 2.4.2 of the spec states "If the {message exchange pattern} of the
Interface Operation component has only one message with a given value for
{direction}, then the messageReference attribute information item  is
optional for the XML representation of the Message Reference component with
that {direction}."

In other words, in one specific case, a MEP with only one message going in a
specific direction, it is not necessary to specify the messageReference
attribute value because the role name can be unambiguously derived from the
MEP's definition.

The change I am asking for is therefore purely a syntactic one and has no
semantic affect on the spec what so ever. That change is to make
messageReference mandatory in all cases. That would mean that rather than
inferring the value of the role name in this single exceptional case, it
will always be explicitly stated.

Since my change request explicitly does not request any semantic changes to
the spec I believe it would be inappropriate to tie or otherwise make my
change request dependent on the outcome of other requests that do ask for
semantic changes.

	Thanks,

			Yaron