RE: 2004-02-12 Action Item: Clarification to the OperationName feature

Hi Savas, all:

> > "message exchange pattern" is a much better term than
> "operation", but
> > we *don't* want to end up in another argument about naming,
> please the
> > gods of small forest pools and sandy ocean beaches.
>
> In fact, if people in this mailing list (that's the ws-desc
> one) remember, Jim and I proposed the renaming of
> /interface/operation to /interface/messageExchange and during
> the discussion more terms were mentioned...
> /interactions/messageExchange or /interactions/exchange (was
> it issue #88?).

Yep, and Sanjiva suggested renaming this to "interaction" as well (which
I liked).

> I think the above much better captures the role of WSDL (at
> least as the way Jim and I see it... and I guess Amy). We are
> talking about a description of the message exchange patterns
> and the formats of those messages. We are not describing
> interfaces. Many toolkits have been treating WSDL as an IDL
> for objects and that complete misses the point of Web
> Services and as all of us know, Web Services != Distributed
> objects :-)) (yes, that one again! :-)

If you can't distinguish between message exchanges / interactions /
operations, then what good are they?  See my recent message to Amy [1].

The fact that "interfaces" happen to combine "operations", and that you
COULD if you wanted to then map those "interfaces" to things that look
like objects/classes, is, while true, orthogonal to the desire to
utilize and identify the operations themselves.

--Glen

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0176.html