Re: rationale for "message triggers fault" fault rule

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:16:07 +0600
Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com> wrote:

> I understand, but how much of stuff we don't use do we intend to
> spec? We've copped out on restricting ourselves on the message
> patterns we'll give names to, but now do we intend to define
> additional, unused fault rules as well?

Fine.  Then I propose that we change both of the output-first pattern to
use the message-triggers-fault rule.  That's what *I* want, and what
will need to be defined for messaging context.

I don't expect other people to agree, though.  However, I want to be
able to specify such patterns, which I believe are *far* more realistic
in asynchronous operations, as soon as the spec publishes.  If we *have*
to use the rules, then I propose we apply them to both of the
output-first operations.

> IMO it doesn't make sense to keep it. Note that any pattern
> defined outside of the spec is free to define their own fault
> rules as well. So no functionality is really lost by getting
> rid of it.

The same is arguably true of nearly all of the spec.  All we *really*
need is an extensible definitions element.  YMMV.

Amy!