RE: PROPOSAL: Drop interface/operation/(input|output)/@headers

I don't really know.  SOAP actor/role might be sufficient, though that
doesn't seem to be the current model.  Currently I don't see much use of
WSDL for expressing that a particular header must be targetted at a role.
Security is a good example where the role typically seems to be undefined or
set to ultimaterecipient.  I could see the role being used to differentiate
beween the application portion vs infrastructure by the endpoint.  I also
don't know whether role is an "abstract" thing like an interface, or a
concrete thing like a endpoint.  I could see an interface expressing that a
security header is required with a given message, and then the endpoint
saying that the security header role must be "securityhandler" as that's
they way it intends to disambiguate.

I think it gets down to whether the ultimate recipient is the application or
the node.  And I think there are 2 questions be conflated: 1) Which
components must be present for delivery to the ultimate recipient address,
and 2) Which components are consumed by the application within the ultimate
recipient.  I think there are potentially 2 solutions: 1) Use role to
differentiate between roles within the ultimate recipient; 2) Use some new
construct to differentiate between "actors/intermediaries" within the
ultimate recipient.  A trivial #2 would be a sub-role of "application" or
"infrastructure".  These might also apply to intermediary nodes as well.

> > As we (the industry and stds bodies) haven't really talked
> > about intermediaries in this context, there is no guidance on how to
> > structure wsdl nor whether to use soap:role to disambiguate.
>
> Agreed. Is @role 1:1 with intermediary?

Good question.

> > Nor is there
> > any guidance whatsoever on how to use WSDL in the face of
> intermediaries,
> > either in the message path or even within the ultimate receiver.
>
> Agreed. Would it be sufficient to say transparent
> intermediaries do not
> need WSDL, that opaque intermediaries would have their own WSDL, and
> that a single WSDL document expressed the aggregate requirements of a
> SOAP node implementing one or more distributed roles?

When you say "intermediaries", do you mean things targeted with Role, as you
asked earlier?  I think I agree with where you are going.  That the WSDL
defines the aggregate interface to a node with potentially multiple roles.
I ask the question earlier about how those roles are "bound" as well.

Cheers,
Dave