RE: RPC Style Issues (3)

Umit wrote:

> As I tried to indicate, we have two issues.
>
> (1) Being able to designate a void return as well as designating an output parameter as the return value (your example).
> (2) Allowing SOAP rpc return value convention to coexist in the RPC style.

OK, so let's talk about your solution to (1) first.

> -- Define an attribute "result" in the rpc namespace. Its value is a QName.
> -- Use the attribute in the output element to designate the return value in the output message (body) itself.
> -- If the attribute does not exist, then there is no return value. You infer that it is void.
> -- It is an error to have this attribute in the output element when the style is not rpc.

This doesn't sound unreasonable to me.  I think it might be a little bit strange to introduce this attribute and start defining hard and fast errors that would happen if it shows up without a style attribute, but it certainly seems easy to understand and (better) easy to implement if you are creating a tool which wants to pay attention to the RPC hint.  If your tool doesn't, you can ignore it.  So I would support this idea.

As for (2), I am indifferent as to whether we have support for this in WSDL or not.  I would be fine if we said we didn't, since we are not supporting the SOAP data model either.  Do we think users of SOAP RPC will be doing WSDL?  If Schema can't represent the data model, that would seem like a big problem and I would probably just skip WSDL altogether if I were using it.  But I am just guessing.

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development