Re: PROPOSAL: Drop interface/operation/(input|output)/@headers

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

>"Umit Yalcinalp" <umit.yalcinalp@oracle.com> writes:
>

>>I have one "naive" question about your proposal.
>>
>>I can envision two different use cases for headers, application specific
>>and middleware introduced. For the latter, one can envision using
>>properties and features (as has been discussed in this thread) and/or
>>specific specs that deal with a specific feature (which is the case
>>today with WS-* specs).
>>
>>However, I am not clear on what options we are leaving to applications
>>that would like to define headers. Can you clarify this if we were to
>>remove headers?
>>

>In our internal discussions, we've concluded that even when
>applications do introduce headers, that is done as a result of
>some policy being applied. Thus, just having a mechanism to
>declare a header isn't enough - one has to say what the
>lifecycle of that header is, what scope it has (not share
>across operations, shared across some ops, shared across all
>ops etc.).
>

>In other words, the mechanism in the current draft is woefully
>inadequate to describe headers. Extending the functionality is
>an option, but I don't think that's a path the WG will like to
>go on because it'll dramatically complicate WSDL for everyone.
>[Tom, where are you? ;-)]

I am not sure that inadequate definition should stop us from eliminating
the capability of defining headers altogether. It seems to me that the
cure is worse than the disease.

As I also replied to Tom, I have the same concerns he has. I am with
Roberto in my current thinking. I would like us NOT to drop headers
until I grasp properties/features a bit better.

>Hence our proposal that headers be dropped and left in the
>domain of policies to introduce and describe the semantics /
>lifecycle of.
>
>My apologies for the delay in replying.

No problem, i figured that since you were awfully quiet for all anyway,
it was not specific to my question :-)

--
Umit Yalcinalp
Consulting Member of Technical Staff