Re: Proposal: Uniqueness on the Wire Requirement for WSDL 2.0

Jeffrey Schlimmer wrote:

> I do not believe that WSDL 2.0 needs to be restrictive in this case
> because there are interesting alternatives and because any recommended
> alternative is arbitrarily restrictive.

I am aware that there may be alternatives. I have stated some in the
mail thread that started this, my point is that disambiguating wire
signatures is a problem that has been recognized and solved already by
WS-I BP. 1.0. This problem must be solved in an interoperable way and we
should not need yet another profile. I am very uncomfortable with the
possibility of  leaving the same issues that are addressed for
interoperability for WSDL 1.1 to yet another profiling exercise.

> SOAP header blocks provide a very interesting dispatch model, and
> there are likely to be strong conventions around using specific header
> blocks for this. For example, WS-Addressing [1] defines an Action
> header block that is particularly suited for this purpose.

WS-Addressing was not part of our spec last time I looked ;-)

> As Paul points out, there shouldn't be any constraint on Body data; it
> is the application's business and should be whatever is appropriate
> for a given application. (Note to self: our current design may already
> be overly restrictive here.)
>

> Put another way, if a service wants to define > 1
> operation/input/@Body that point to the same GED, why would anyone
> else care?

As a vendor  that provide tools needs to be able to dispatch and need to
disambiguate an incoming message and relate it to a specific operation.
This is a real interoperability problem as vendors need to consume WSDLs
provided by services developed by other vendors tools and need to
disambiguate the incoming messages. As you probably know, a service
provider can not disambiguate between operations given an input message
that may be associated with two different operations as the operation
doesn't appear on the wire. By having this restriction, an interface is
associated with a service, hence an endpoint would be able to
distinguish the incoming messages.

Our position is that this must be solved in an interoperable way and
leaving this to specifications or specific vendor implementations are
not acceptable as one vendors choice of disambiguating may not be
supported by another unless it is part of the standard. Hence, one
vendor will not be aware of headers or addressing choices which will
solve this problem. This is a real issue for interoperability.

If you would like to propose alternative ways of tackling this issue
within the context of the WSD wg, I am all ears. However, not solving
this problem is unacceptable. There is a solution that is already
published by WS-I and we should use it.

> --Jeff

--umit