Re: Can one inline schema import definitions from a second inline schema?

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 08:45:32 -0400
Anne Thomas Manes <anne@manes.net> wrote:

> Regarding xs:import location pointing to a file with <schema> root
> element:
>
> I don't believe that the schema spec requires that, but the WS-I BP
> does. R2004:

My local schema guru argues that part one, section 4.2.3 of the W3C XML
Schema Spec, specifically the section on import constraints and
semantics, *does* require that any xs:import point either at a fragment
inside a document whose root is <schema>, or a complete document whose
root is <schema>.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#src-import

While I recognize that the complexity of the language (of W3C XML Schema
in general, and of this section in particular) is an obstacle to
widespread understanding, I am somewhat loath to attempt to "simplify"
the language with no intent to change its meaning, as that gives us two
potentially conflicting normative definitions.  Not good.

[remainder snipped]

Architect, TIBCO/Extensibility, Inc.