Re: Wording of Part1 2.3.1.1 Operation Style

David Booth wrote:

> I have a small follow up suggestion to the wording of Part1, sec 2.3.1.1.
>
> 2.3.1.1 Operation Style says:
>
> [[
> If the {style} property of an Interface Operation component has a
> value then that value (a URI) implies the rules that were used to
> define the {body} properties of all {message reference}s within that
> component. Note that the property MAY not have any value. If this
> property has a given value, then the rules implied by that value (URI)
> MUST be followed. Furthermore, this property represents an OPTIONAL
> hint to additional information which MAY be ignored by a processor.
> ]]
>
> I suggest deleting the last sentence, i.e., "Furthermore, this
> property represents an OPTIONAL hint to additional information which
> MAY be ignored by a processor.".  I think that sentence adds more
> confusion than clarity, because the previous sentence says "MUST" and
> this sentence says "OPTIONAL".
>
> Why isn't that sentence needed? Because the sentence is talking about
> what a processor may *do* with the information it gets from a
> conforming WSDL document, which is not our business say.  In other
> words, there is no need to say that a processor is free to ignore some
> particular information in a conforming WSDL document, because a
> processor is *always* free to ignore information that it doesn't
> need.  We can define what it means for a WSDL document to *be*
> conformant, but we cannot dictate what processors *do* when presented
> with conforming WSDL documents.  That's up to them.

David,

See the concrete proposal for clarifying this confusion in our proposal
by explicitly indication what is normative and required [1]. I believe
dividing the rules into two groups would help in this direction.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Oct/0057.html

--umit

--
Umit Yalcinalp