RE: new issue: drop {direction} property from message reference components

I agree the issue should not be closed for similar reasons; during the 9
Jan 2003 teleconference [1] and 20 Jan F2F [2], we carefully discussed
what information a WSDL processor should be able to infer if it didn't
recognize a pattern URI and decided to keep direction.

Two scenarios that are enabled by WSDL 1.1 and the status quo (even sans
pattern) are direction-based filtering by firewalls and monitoring. I'll
speak to the first; as we know, a firewall may allow initiating a TCP
connection from inside while preventing it from outside because it
distinguishes the direction of the TCP initiation message. Next
generation firewalls will want to do something comparable for Web
services; given the WSDL for a service, the firewall will want to allow
only input messages in (analogous to TCP connection initiation) and only
output messages out (to prevent Trojan horse-related attacks). Such
firewalls will _typically_ understand the pattern URI, but will want to
provide a base level of filtering based on the XML Schema for the
messages and direction otherwise.

However, I do agree that the direction information is redundant between
the operation children and the values specified within the pattern URI
definition; if that redundancy bothers people, they we should consider
removing the other source.

--Jeff

[1]
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Jan/att-0009/01-min