Re: HTTP binding options

Glen Daniels wrote:

>Hi Jeff, David:
>
>I'm just going to pop in here and make a quick comment on this.
>
>In general, I feel a little queasy about the idea that you would express a
>GED and then have a WSDL binding chop that element up and put various pieces
>of it in various places (URL parts, headers...).  I thought that one of the

Fact is that for some cases, it might be really simpler to do so.
One example would be an image-upload mechanism where you need to give a
string (an image name) and a binary stream (the image data). In WSDL1.1,
we would model this message as a two-parts message (a string and a
binary data). In WSDL2.0, we will model this as one GED, with two
elements, one for the image name and the other for the image data. In
most WSDL cases, the message contains only one unbreakable piece of data
and this is really fine to enforce the "do-not-break-this-xml-data"
rule. But in the previous example, it seems not to be the case. The
desire to break this particular GED is that, in the first place, this
GED is somehow artificial. The "wsdl11:part" element had this benefit
that it was drawing the line between atomic and splitable data.

Let's use the message example in an upload operation scenario.
There would be two ways to map this upload operation with an http post
request. One is to serialize the whole GED in the http body, hence do
some Base64 (en|de)coding, xml (de)serialization and so on. This would
be SOAP's way.
Another approach is simply to put the image binary stream as the http
body, and put the name of the image somewhere else, for instance in the
uri. Compared to the first approach, this solution seems simpler and
more efficient.
For most cases, the GED is one atomic data and should be unbreakable,
but for some cases, the GED is just a WSDL artifact and does not really
match the wire representation and/or the data as viewed by the application.

What do you think?
    Youenn