RE: proposal for changing binding for WSDL 1.2

Hi Jacek,

It seems your concerns can be summarized as:

1. By abstract the binding data to a separate <bindingType> element, though it's not a problem for "machine" which has good understanding of the "inheritance rule", it's harder for a novice user to get guidance about where this info can be applied.

2.  Since WSDL hierarchy (sequence of serviceType/portType/operation/input|output|fault) is fixed and quite limited, we can live with just define the bindings under each element, and the benefit of having a modular <bindingType> is not obvious

3. Unless the issue addressed by Sanjiva's proposal can be broken down to several small issues and considered separately, it should be WSDL 2.0 issue

For point 1,  I think we can address it by adding an optional attribute @target which can be used as a hint about where this bindingType should be applied. so the modified grammar may look like below

<bindingType name = "NCname" target = "serviceType|portType|operation|input|output|fault|...">*
 	<!-- binding details -->
</bindingType>

<binding>*
   <serviceType name = .. bindingType = "qname"?..>* (depends on the result of the discussion about if binding should be defined in serviceType level)
     <portType name = .. bindingType = "qname"?..>*
         <operation name = .. bindingType = "qname"?..>*
 	<input name = .. bindingType = "qname"?..>*
	   <parts name= "nmtokens" bindingType = "qname"?...> *

Also, more generic binding types can be modularly defined if we adopt the suggestions from Jeffrey et al  for Hoisting SOAP Binding Attributes (see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Jul/0058.html).

For point 2, I view it differently. IMHO, In WSDL1.1, the binding constructs is quite inconsistent with all other constructs. For example, one defines a type then references it in <part>, one defines a <message> then references it in <input|output|fault>.  but when it comes to binding, one has to
mingle the binding data inline with the <binding> element. add <bindingType> will make the wsdl component model more consistent and clean. Just like in a relational database, you can definitely live with putting all data in one table, but separating repetitious data to a separate table will make
reusability much better.

For point 3.  I believe  <bindingType> can be considered separately from Sanjiva's proposal: the key for the related section of Sanjiva's proposal is about whether we should allow define bindings in the serviceType level. No matter what the WG eventually decided, <bindingType> idea can be applied
with just minor changes.

Regards,
Canyang Kevin Liu
SAP Labs, Palo Alto