RE: wsdl extensions

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 18:59, Jonathan Marsh wrote:
> How would a registration authority (on top of the self-managed URI space
> we leverage now) increase interoperability?  Is there not already an
> organization (WS-I) dedicated to mitigating the effects of extensibility
> on interop by placing brands and testing methodology around sets of
> specifications and their extensions?

Ensuring interoperability is one thing, defining the set of extensions
is an other. I won't argue regarding the place of WS-I in the
interoperability area and how we ended up there. Regarding the
definition of extensions, it is perfectly arguable that it should be
either the WSDL WG (we are defining the set of extensions to support
SOAP and HTTP) or the OASIS TC (they are defining the security
extensions for SOAP). I'm inclined to suggest the OASIS TC. The WS
Architecture WG is (was?) about to send a message to this TC as you are
already aware [1]. I suggested (actually, Joyce raised the subject
first) that we should have an opinion on this message as well and you
don't think so. Even if I don't expect the WSDL WG to interfere with the
current directions of WSA, I think it would be fair to ask the WG if
they have an opinion before raising the issue to the CG. If the OASIS TC
does not want to address those extensions, we might need to think about
doing it.

Philippe

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Nov/0006.html

--
Philippe Le Hegaret - http://www.w3.org/People/LeHegaret/
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Technical staff