Re: Synchronous?

On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, at 09:53  PM, Newcomer, Eric wrote:

> Apologies for appearing to suggest we don't need definitions of these
> terms for the glossary.  Of course we do.  I was just impatient with
> the seemingly endless debate...

While it is not always the case, I find that many "endless debates" of
this kind are
actually important exercises in taking a machete to the undergrowth of
unwitting assumptions. In the case of "[a]synchronous", I think we've
done at least
four things:
- clarified the distinction between an MEP and the applications
programming model
   used to implement an agent (e.g. in examining notions like "wait",
"active" and so on)
- raised the issue of two-party vs. N-party interactions
- flushed out a couple of potential protocol dependencies (e.g. in
references to "same
   connection")
- made it less likely that we'll have to revise all of this when
choreography rears its head

These seem worthwhile to me, even though they could have been
accomplished a bit
quicker. (And I know I haven't exactly helped.... mea culpa.)