From: Ugo Corda [mailto:UCorda@SeeBeyond.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2003 11:56 AM
To: Newcomer, Eric
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: Web Service Description and stateful services - (on the
'www-ws@w3.org' list) Debating on a) Stateful Web Service Instances b)
Stateful Interaction - OGSI

> I think semantics and state are different things.  You can have either

> without the other.

Semantics is always a vague concept, so let me try to further clarify.
What I was referring to is something that describes the internal
behavior of the service and is currently not expressed in the WSDL
interface. To take Chris' example, if a client sends a message
containing two coordinates to a map service with the expectation that
the service will refer to a map that the client previously retrieved,
this particular server behavior is what I would say to be part of its
semantics (i.e. not expressed in the interface).

Ugo