RE: Explanation / Defense of "+5"

Hmm ... I'm torn on this.  On one hand, you're right!  On the other hand,
tools can lock us in to sub-optimal architectural patterns (e.g., the Google
SOAP API, which could be more RESTful like Google itself but got locked into
an RPC paradigm because that's what the tools support). Likewise, tools that
hide hideous complexity under the covers (e.g. the Windows APIs) can both
prepetuate the complexity and solidify the dominance of the tool vendor's
preferred infrastructure.

On balance, I think that tooling is an important practical consideration for
real-world people and organizations focused on short-term pragmatism (such
as WS-I) but I'm not convinced its an important issue for the WSA.  Other
perspectives welcomed!