RE: Why "web services architecture" is a bit of a misnomer

Mike,

Your analysis corresponds to my basic belief that Web services are primarily a marketing concept (and as such do not necessarily bring with them a coherent architecture).

Regarding the two optional interpretations you mention, I would say that SOA is the more orthodox one (and many people would strongly object to the Object interpretation). On the other hand, there are cases that definitely take the Object approach (a notable example being the mapping of Grid concepts to Web services).

Ugo