RE: Is This a Web Service?

Here's my $0.02c.

Before trying to define a web service would it make sense to describe (and
even, perhaps, agree) the features and properties of what we think is a web
service. Here's a few that I can think of for starters ...

SOME GENERAL DEFINITIONS ...
1. Standards based. The web service uses a well defined and limited set of
standards to help ensure interoperability between implementations built
using different technology.

2. Application-to-Application. Web services facilitate the direct
interoperable communication between applications using messages.

3. Formal definitions. A formal definition of how to interact with a web
service exists that allows an application to build an interoperable solution
without needing any further information.

SOME MORE SPECIFIC DEFINITIONS ...
4. XML Based. Uses XML to specify: a) definitions of services and b)
metadata about messages sent between applications.

5. SOAP based. SOAP is used to record metadata about messages.

I know this list is NOT complete, it almost certainly is not correct and I
am absolutely certain that not everyone will agree with it ;) ... for
example must web services be interoperable and standards based? I think so,
but I'm not sure everyone else would agree.

So is this an approach that would help us come to a proper resolution?

David