From: Ugo Corda [mailto:UCorda@SeeBeyond.com]
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 5:22 PM
To: James M Snell; Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org; www-ws-arch-request@w3.org
Subject: RE: Is This a Web Service?

I think that interoperability was the primary reason for even starting
spending any time on all these "new" technologies. (As many people
already observed, the real novelty of these technologies - what sets
them apart from DCOM, CORBA, RMI, etc. - is their promise of
interoperability).

So, in my mind, "Interoperable Web Service" should not be an item in a
Web services taxonomy, but should represent a property shared by all the
elements in the taxonomy. That does not mean, of course, that in the
future Web services should be limited to what is in WS-I BP 1.0 today.
It is an evolving body of technologies, an things like SOAP over JMS and
RESTfulness have to be properly taken into account.

But interoperability should be the dividing line (a moving line, as I
said) separating what is Web services from what is not.

Given the piles of hype already existing in the area of Web services,
relaxing the interoperability criterion would be a big mistake, prone to
creating a lot of confusion and offering open "creativity license" to
marketeers to classify anything they can think of as a Web service
(which in the end would make the whole concept useless).

Ugo