RE: Protocol independence

A more interesting discussion would be, in my opinion, the analysis of properties and features "carried" by the underlying transfer protocol. I am talking about the fact that, for example, SOAP over HTTP might require the use of a headers-supported reliability mechanism, but the same SOAP message carried over JMS might not, assuming the underlying JMS provider supports reliable messaging.

Things can get more complicated when the same message travels across intermediaries, where each hop might use different transfer protocols. How does the intermediate node figure out how features and properties are to be translated between hops? In cases like reliable messaging, it might be decided that, even though the JMS hop provides reliability, the presence of other hops whose transfer protocol does not support reliability might still dictate the adoption of end-to-end headers-supported reliable messaging.

My hope is that these issues will be addressed by the WSDL Properties & Features Task Force, or by one of the Policy consortiums. Otherwise, this looks to me like a good subject for the WSA group.

Ugo