RE: Label for Top Node of "triangle diagram"

I agree that registries are not the only way to implement
discovery! That is why i quoted "place", but apparently
I was not clear. I think we intuitively knew this when we
agreed that a --cloud-- was the best graphical icon for this
node.

Advertising - web pages advertise by being part of a hypertext
network. If I want a search engine to find my page, I have to
make sure it is either in its explicit listing of pages (registry)
or linked to from a page that is.

Web services are not hypertext--there is no way to start at a
node and explore links described at that node. Hence they need
to advertise in some form...either by phone, email to other
service developers or describe themselves to a well known
mechanism (typically a registry).

Description - I am very interested in where and how people
believe description happens. Is it an atomic transaction--
fully described in one interchange--or composite? Who is
responsible for what roles? How can you use a --cloud-- to
find a service if the --cloud-- does not provide some description?
Will we have to inquire directly to each service to select
between them?  Is description narrowly defined as the data
in WSDL or does it include UDDI concepts and others? I prefer
the broader sense.

"Advertising and Discovery Mechanisms" - I could live with this
but am not afraid to use "services" either. I think we should describe
them as services, and as we add security, management, QOS etc we
will end up describing services. But that is a debate for a later
day.

DaveH