RE: Intermediaries - various cases

So here's a question: is a SOAP node the application that makes the initial
request or is it the SOAP message processing runtime runtime engine that
actually sends the request over the network or is it the combination of the
two? Likewise on the server side, is the SOAP node the application that
receives the final request or is it the SOAP message processor that
translates the request into a method call or is it the combination of the
two?

The way many SOAP message processors work, you can add all kinds of extra
middleware functionality (implemented as interceptors or header processors)
in the SOAP message processor. For example, you can perform logging or
encryption or message reconciliation or message persistence, etc. A lot of
these functions can happen without the application's awareness. I view these
interceptors and header processors as intermediaries (although Mark tells me
that they are nodes). Physically, I'm not sending the message over the
network between each interceptor, but conceptually I am.

Anne