Re: Words for the Triangles

At 04:03 PM 9/25/2002 -0400, Heather Kreger (<HK>...</HK>) wrote:

>Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org> on 09/25/2002 02:18:47 PM
>. . .
>You were saying that you had issues finding a good way to call the
>discovery part. I have the feeling that it actually may not be easily
>described in terms of role.
>
>In terms of abstract entities here, there is the provider and the
>consumer. The discovery is something which happens between the two of
>them, directly or indirectly. I would therefore suggest simply talking
>about "discovery mechanisms".
><HK> So then do we have "publication mechanisms" as well? They are not
>necessarily symmetric. But what do we discover 'from'?
></HK>

In the broadest case, from the Web.  But it depends on what discovery
mechanism you're using.  If you're using UDDI for example, they you're
discovering from a particular, centralized registry.  But if you're using
Google, then you're discovering from the Web, using Google as your
discovery tool.

--
David Booth
W3C Fellow / Hewlett-Packard