RE: Words for the Triangles

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 02:08:50PM -0400, Heather Kreger wrote:
> Warning: long tirade follows:
>
> Lets be clear here on what it is we are defining.  We are defining a Web
> Services Architetcture.  It is a case of a Service Oriented Architecture.
> There are 3 primary parties in this model.  I'm not suggesting it. I'm
> stating it.

The Web is a SOA too, as SteveV and I (who have both spent far too much
time using CORBA 8-) said.  Perhaps you could respond to that thread to
state while you feel it is not.

The fact is that the Web is an extremely advanced form of SOA.  It
doesn't resemble previous ones that Anne mentioned, since they were
designed to work on LANs (single adminstrative domain), while the
Web was designed to work over the Internet (between untrusted
parties).  That's the principle reason why it looks so different.

> I think Web services adds to this the ability to find what you want by
> SEARCHING on characteristics and metadata accompanying that service.  This
> is SUCH a good thing for J2EE.

I thought that's what the Semantic Web was for;

http://monkeyfist.com/articles/815

> Oh boy, I can see the flames lighting up already...

Not really.  The disagreement over this issue is much more fundamental
than just registries, and we've been over most of those before.  So
while I appreciate the thought you put into this post, I'm not going to
respond in full for fear of slowing down progress on the architecture
document.

FWIW, I'd be ok with mentioning UDDI *iff* we make it clear that it is
being used in the configuration that Ugo discussed.