Re: arch diagrams from the f2f

Mark,

Some clarifications below...

	Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 21:26:12 -0400
	From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
	To: Mark Jones <jones@research.att.com>
	Cc: Heather Kreger <kreger@us.ibm.com>, www-ws-arch@w3.org
	Subject: Re: arch diagrams from the f2f

	I wanted to say that the concern I raised about the triangle diagram -
	that it's logical, but may be interpreted as suggesting the existence
	of particular technologies - appears to be the case in Mark's slides
	(though at the f2f we appeared to have started down this path).

I don't disagree that the overall diagram is logical, and even the more
detailed views with Heather's categories are logical.  A reasonably
sound pedagogical approach would be to introduce them as such.

As we attempt to ground the reader in the landscape of actual and
emerging technologies though, it think it would be useful to indicate
where they seem to fit in that picture.  This hardly seems like it
should be left as an exercise to the reader.  Perhaps it would make
even more sense to instantiate the diagrams with subsets of
technologies that represent coherent architectural styles.  This would
not leave the reader with the impression that every application would
require the union of the technologies.

	I consider it a fundamental advance of the Web over previous distributed
	systems, that "publish" and "find" are integrated into "interact", all
	by virtue of the joined-at-the-hip relationship between a URI and the
	HTTP GET method.

You somehow still have to come by the URI in the first place, whether
by work of mouth, google, etc.  Being spidered is a form of "publish".
Using google is a form of "find".  Also, any of the logical legs of the
triangle can obviously use HTTP GET in/as their implementation.

	I suggest that we refrain from attempting to map specific technologies
	to this diagram for this reason.  If we're going to do any mapping,
	we should have a separate physical diagram with which to do that.

But, again, for pedagogical reasons, I think it would be useful to
instantiate the logical diagram when we do so.

Mark

	Thanks.