Re: Label for Top Node of "triangle diagram"

On Wednesday, October 2, 2002, at 04:04  PM, David Booth wrote:
> Why didn't I say THREE roles? If you assume that Client and Web
> Service agree to use some kind of common "registry" to advertise and
> discover a Web Service, then it makes sense to think of the top cloud
> in the triangle diagram as also being a "role".  So if you accustomed
> to thinking of things like UDDI, that would be natural.  But I do not
> think we should be making this assumption.  The Client and Service do
> NOT need to agree on a common registry (again, unless you consider the
> entire Web to be a registry, but I don't think that's a helpful
> characterization).

I can see the attraction of this line of thinking, but the immediate
question that sprang to mind was about coherence. (Or coherency, if
you prefer.) Are you really proposing that there is no need for
*any* type of coupling between the act of advertising and the act of
discovery
except the service description itself. The triangle simplifies to
the three verbs "advertise", "discover", and "use", but in reality the
"advertise" service [for "service" is what it is - and let's embrace
the self-referential implications!] unfolds into mechanisms for
publishing,
modifying, and withdrawing an advertisement.

Can we not identify systematic properties relating the various elements
which support advertisement and discovery without assuming that there
is a "common registry"?

For a diagram as high-level as this I'd prefer to see an abstract
"service information service" at the top, and then explain that
this abstraction can be realized in a variety of ways - all
the way from a single UDDI service to a "toss the needles into
the haystack that is the web, and find them any way we can".

Geoff