RE: Label for Top Node of "triangle diagram"

-----Original Message-----
From: David Booth [mailto:dbooth@w3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 2:05 PM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: Label for Top Node of "triangle diagram"

> The actions (verbs)  are the right, left and bottom arcs in the
> diagram.  The roles (nouns) are the bottom two nodes.

I like this: arcs are verbs, nodes are nouns. Now can we be precise
about the sentence/paragraph description of the nouns? I expect it
will be difficult without using the verbs that describe the arcs that
connect to it.

> The reason I am harping on this is that I believe that if we call the top
> cloud "a role" we are implicitly suggesting that there needs to be a
> central or previously-agreed "meeting place"

I disagree with there is an implicit suggestion that a role must equate
to an unque entity. A client software--or what ever you want to call the
agent, not role of the provider-- might perform one or more roles, as might
the consumer.

> ...But we should not bias our architecture my implying that they MUST
> do so.

But they must, otherwise I don't think we have a complete or accurate
model/representation. In this case, the role may be that the
advertising/discover is done in a product spec and coded into the
software (as seems common in many RPC style designs), but even then
the role exists, it is just performed by the software development process.

Indeed, all discovery is going to rely upon some blend of in-band
electronic information out of band information.

daveh