Re: Roy's ApacheCon presentation

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 12:01:33PM -0500, Anne Thomas Manes wrote:
> Insurance is only one example. Similar efforts are underway in banking, law,
> tax filing, accounting, automotive retail, automotive manufacturing,
> semiconductor manufacturing, etc., etc.

I understand, but my example isn't insurance-specific.  Anytime you have
multiple interfaces to integrate between, you're worse off than if you
have one interface to integrate between.  If you're only integrating
*within* that system, such as adding another law firm into the network
of integrated law firms, then you're golden.  But as soon as you want to
start integrating other systems into that network, you're in trouble.

> The key feature of Web services that you seem to be ignoring is that you can
> develop reusable interfaces. And there's a strong incentive among the
> industry groups to design these reusable interfaces.

I'm not ignoring it at all!  I'm quite aware of the value of reusable
interfaces.  What you seem to be ignoring about the Web, however, is
that it *already* defines an interface suitable for abstracting any
information system.

Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.   http://www.markbaker.ca

   Will distribute objects for food