RE: D-AR0062.2: Authentication for data

Basically, yes.  Entirely?  Not quite.
For all practical purpose receiver authentication is often implicitly
assumed; but it doesn't make the above expression a solid one.
In channel based approaches, the assumption is pretty much inherent.
E.g. in SSL/TLS, at least one peer -- the server -- is authenticated
(during handshake) prior to any application data transfer.  The other
peer is authenticated either by the server's stipulating "Client
Authentication (by certificate)" during handshake or some application
level client authc means after handshake, such as user/password,
challenge response, critical data submission (e.g. disclosing one's
credit card number), ...
The same can't be said of object (or message) based approaches,
say xmlenc.  (This may be why "sender authentication" tends to
be more conspicuously emphasized in message based approaches.)

> Thanks for the explanation.

Sure, my pleasure.

> In any case, I think it would be helpful to re-word
> requirement D-AR0062.2,
> to explicitly separate out and identify the issues of "data
> integrity" and "sender authentication".

Data integrity is covered in D-AR006.5.
One can stretch D-AR006.2.1 to cover "Sender authentication".
But IMO it's cleaner to leave D-AR006.2.1 as a discrete req.
I was aware of the overlap when I wrote this; but tiling the
reqs for the sake of avoiding overlap alone appeared to me
unsound at the time.

Of course I'm open to new verbiage anyone may suggest, *in
complete sentence(s)*.

Cheers,

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service