RE: Web Service Definition [Was "Some Thoughts ..."]

Mike,

	I had responded to the message.

	In essence that message defines web services as SOAP interaction described
using WSDL. If we abstract it one more level up, we get the "interfaces and
binding described using standards"  + "interact using internet protocols".

	We can move up or down the levels of abstraction (i.e. be more specific or
be more general). We can even do one of the following i.e. combine the
definitions we have so far:

	"A web service is defined as software which has the following
characteristics:

	1.	Interfaces and bindings defined in a standard way
	2.	Interacts using standard Internet protocols
	3.	The result 1s XML with the vocabulary clearly documented
	4.	The result is XML that matched a specific schema
	5.	The result is SOAP with the payload documented in human-readable form
	6.	The result is SOAP and the payload documented with WSDL
	7.	URI encoded a SOAP invocation message and the result was SOAP with the
payload documented with WSDL.
	8.	Does not *require* human interaction
	9.	Does not *mandate* an object model
	A.	Is programming language and VM independent
	B.	Is distributed
	C.	Is secure
	D.	..."

	Does this make more sense ?

	BTW, I am not that comfortable saying web service needs to talk XML. I
agree on this with James Snell that even though for the most part, in the
foreseeable future we would be using XML, we should not restrict the
*definition* to XML.

	OTOH, may be we could substitute "structured markup language" for XML and
thus be technology neutral.

	i.e. 3. The result 1s structured markup language with the vocabulary
clearly documented
	   4. The result is structured markup language that matched a specific
schema
		.. and so on

cheers