From: ECKERT,ZULAH (HP-Cupertino,ex1) [mailto:zulah_eckert@hp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 2:10 PM
To: Damodaran, Suresh; 'kreger@us.ibm.com'; Hao.He@thomson.ocm.au;
adiber@att.com; ECKERT,ZULAH (HP-Cupertino,ex1); wsgeek2002@yahoo.com
Cc: WSA W3C Public (E-mail)
Subject: proposed AC018 rewording

Hi All,

 Here is a proposed rewording of AC018 from Heather and Zulah.

Comments?
Zulah

AC018 Enables the management of web services

AC018.1 Ensures that implementations of the Web Services Architecture are
manageable.
[Damodaran, Suresh] "ensures" is too strong?
AR018.1.1 Define a base set of standard metrics for architectural
components and their interactions accompanied by guidelines for measurement.
[Damodaran, Suresh] An example of a metric for component & interaction will
be helpful for understanding.
AR018.1.2 Define a base set of standard management operations for Web
Services Architecture implementations. Management operations includes, but
is not limited to, support for configuration control and lifecycle control.
[Damodaran, Suresh] I have difficulty understanding what "configuration
control" of WSA implementations means. Is that the configuration of
architectural components that can work together? Also, does life cycle
apply to a component or more?
AR018.1.3 Define a base set of management events to be issued by the Web
Services Architecture implementation.
AR018.1.4 Define a standard methodology for accessing management
capabilities from the Web Services Architecture implementation.

AC018.2 Ensures that implementations of the Web Service instances are
manageable.
AR018.2.1 Define how a web service should expose web service specific
metrics, configuration, operations, and events.
AR018.2.2 Support the discovery of web service management capabilities.
AR018.2.3 Define a standard methodology for accessing management
capabilities of a Web Service through the Web Services Architecture
implementation.

AC018.3 Ensure that at least the following types of management applications
are supported: Performance Monitoring, Availability, Configuration,
Control, and Service Level Agreements.
[Damodaran, Suresh] I would prefer just "monitoring" - SLAs are not
applications. What does "control" mean in this context?

I am a bit confused at this point about the difference between 18.1 and
18.2 - for example, 18.1.4 & 18.2.3 are same? If not what does 18.1.4 mean?