Re: [RTF] Behavior definition of Services - public discussion

It is formally provable that the kind of equivalence that you appear to
be looking for is undecidable. (This is a corollary of the halting
problem, and Goedels incompleteness theorem)

However, do not throw the baby out with the bath water. There are many
things that you can do with semantic descriptions, indeed we MUST do
with semantic ddescriptions.

If a client wishes to decide whether or not to use a web service, one
might characterize this as an equivalence problem. However, a simpler,
more realistic approach is `does it use language that I recognize?'
(This is the ontology approach)

In effect, there is a graph of concepts that a web service provider
publishes to describe his or her service. A client applies a matching
test to that graph -- which might include getting references from other
graphs -- to see if the graph is congruent with his desired service. If
it is, then the client can be pretty sure that its OK (assuming that the
provider's actual service is `faithful' to the description.

Such a graph match is not only decidable, but perfectly tractable too --
for most realistic situations. This is because a linguistic approach is
fundamentally different to the `semantic' approach implied by the
question: are two programs the same.

In human terms its like this: how do I know that when you use the word
`foobar' you mean the same as I do when I use it? The answer is, that in
a fundamental sense we don't know, but in practice the issue doesn't
seem to come up too often. (Notice, however, that it DOES come up
occasionally; but that humans resolve questions by linking new words and
concepts with old concepts)

The bottom line: avoid phrasing the question in terms of equivalence,
instead phrase the question in terms of `have I heard of this name
before'?

I hope that this throws light instead of gas on the fire.

Frank McCabe