RE: Web Service Definition [Was "Some Thoughts ..."]

Comments embedded below.

> The flood-gate comment was not about trust -- I was trying to
> point out that
> some of these definitions seem so general to me that they
> would include
> things that did stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with
> the web or
> anything that a reasonable person would consider the function of a web
> service -- like having a person drive a car somewhere or fly
> a kite or make
> a telephone call to his grandmother.  Or open the sluice gate
> of a dam.

Given that the definition that Mark and I've developed specifies URIs
and standard internet protocols as key parts of what constitutes a Web
Service, it clearly avoids the generality you fear. I assume therefore
that your paragraph above is talking about other proposals.

> It seems to be a position that isn't getting a lot of
> agreement here, so I
> guess I won't push it, but I would be happier with a definition that
> sacrifices a little generality in order to say in simple,
> understandable
> terms what these things are.  It seems to me that one way to
> do that would
> be to say that these things accept requests that are XML messages and
> respond with XML messages.  Since the XML thing is in our
> charter -- and
> since every reference I have been able to find says that this
> is what web
> services do -- I don't see that this limits anything unduly,
> and it makes
> perfectly clear, to me at least, that a whole bunch of
> perverse things are
> NOT web services.

XML is a technology that can be used to implement web services, but we
don't want to define Web Services in terms of technologies. Do we define
objects in terms of Java or C++? Do we define a network in terms of
Ethernet or CAT-5?

> Add that the web service is addressed by a
> URI and you
> eliminate a bunch of other things, like orchestrations, that
> are not web
> services per se.

I disagree. I am a big fan of orchestrations as related to Web Services,
and thus would not promote a definition that disallows them. URIs do not
disallow orchestrations.

> It seems to me that then you would have a
> definition that
> it would be easy to use to answer the question: "Is XYZ a web
> service?"
> without getting involved in difficult discussions like
> whether the thing is
> intended for machines or people, or people interacting
> through machines, or
> machines using people, or ...

In web terms, a Web Service *is* defined by the fact that it evolves the
Web beyond browser/web server interactions to true
application-to-application interactions that do not directly involve
humans. You can't define Web Services without addressing this key
element.

--steve