RE: "Orchestration" and "Choreography"

Mike,

It seems to me that WS-Coordinate is a generic
context creation and management service that can be
leverage but by the other modules of the
architecture. One of the very first modules to take
advantage of it will be WS-Transaction.

Security, caching and other module of the web service
architecture could leverage the WS-Coordination
if/when necessary.

Best,
Edwin

---- "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-
USA.com> wrote:
> Thanks, that was very helpful! OK, so  ...
>
> "description" defines the "programming" interface
of one web service.

> "choregraphy" defines how multiple services
mechanically plug in to one
> another, e.g., how invoking a particular service
puts some object into a
> state where another service can be invoked on it.
>
> "orchestration" defines how multiple services can
be used in conjunction at
> the level of business processes / workflow /
program logic, e.g., "If
> service X is successful, invoke service Y,
otherwise invoke service Z".

> Do others agree that these are the generally
accepted definitions of these
> terms?  Should the WSA adopt this terminology, or
try to persuade the
> industry to adopt less, uhh, metaphorical terms?
>
> How about "coordination".  I get the impression
that WS-Coordination was
> created because its inventors
factored "coordination" out of both "business
> process execution" (aka "orchestration" as defined
above) and
> "transactions."   The closest I can find to a
definition in the
> WS-Coordination spec is a bit recursive: it
provides an "extensible
> framework for providing protocols  that coordinate
the actions of
> distributed applications. Such coordination
protocols are used to support a
> number of applications, including those that need
to reach consistent
> agreement on the outcome of distributed
transactions."