RE: REST, Conversations and Reliability

Architecturally, the point that WSA should be focused on is how two nodes
can
determine which wire format is most suitable for exchange of the infoset
between
the two adjacent nodes. Having a baseline default serialization that MUST
or SHOULD
be supported would go a long ways towards ensuring the broadest level of
interoperability.
I would tend to lean towards SHOULD because MUST might be impractical in
all
environments.

Architecturally speaking, this could be abstracted to "how can two nodes
determine,
and negotiate(?), QoS parameters" since serialization encoding is but one
possible
facet to be agreed upon.

As to infoset serialization, I thought that this was already covered by
XML1.0 and Infoset
specs. I could be wrong, but I don't see a need for any new WG to define
infoset
serialization for pointy brackets.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624

                      "Champion, Mike"
                      <Mike.Champion@Software        To:       www-ws-arch@w3.org
                      AG-USA.com>                    cc:
                      Sent by:                       Subject:  RE: REST, Conversations and Reliability
                      www-ws-arch-request@w3.
                      org

                      08/07/2002 08:51 PM

Are you suggesting that WSA ask SOAP to re-think its defininition on top of
the infoset rather than XML syntax?  Or maybe suggesting that web services
SHOULD use XML pointy brackets rather than some alternative syntax?

I think we ought to say that to maximize interoperability, the XML syntax
is
clearly best practice.  Still, there are other considerations besides
interoperability [he says, awaiting the thunderbolts from the RESTifarians
<grin>].  As far as my MQSeries - Web via intermediary scenario goes, I
don't think it matters to the WSA what some internal implementation of SOAP
does for a wire format so long as they preserve the infoset representation.
More plausibly, would anyone insist that the "wire" format of wireless web
services use pointy brackets, namespace URIs in all their bloated glory,
etc.  if they can compress/tokenize/whatever that stuff away?  We can say
that's bad practice for interoperability, but they may point out that
interoperability of services that are too slow to be economically viable is
not really an issue worth debating.

Or to put it another way, the WSA might recommend XML syntax as a wire
format for interoperability reasons, but must not build higher layers or
dependent modules on the assumption of XML syntax, only that whatever the
wire format is, it can be mapped to the SOAP infoset representation.
Would
anyone disagree?  I think we're asking for a fight with the XMLP and TAG
folks if we suggest backtracking on the infoset basis for the formal specs.