RE: REST, Conversations and Reliability

Paul,

The point is here is not as much about hiding the reliability logic
layer from the application logic layer but to allow the application
logic to delegate reliability.

The difference is that in the second case the application is aware that
it is communicating with a remote service and it decides to "queue" a
message for that services.

The benefits of a messaging paradigm are reliability but also
scalability in the sense that it allows components that have different
throughput to communicate (my B2B gateway can handle 1000tx/s but my SAP
system can only handle 50tx/s).

Messaging works, it has been deployed for years: There are more MQSeries
deployment than app servers deployments. New technologies and standards
like XML, XML Schema, HTTP, URI could take existing messaging
infrastructure that are priorietary and difficult to deploy and manage
across domains and make then ubiquitous.

Messaging does not means that app logic does not need to handle failure
to connect to messaging or timeout but it encapsulates a big chunk of
the retries, queuing and load balancing. Things that would need to be
otherwise implemented and managed one off as part of each application.

Another proof of that is the adoption of JMS within distributed J2EE
applications.

The conclusion here is that there are ways to allow the application
logic to delegate message delivery to messaging intermediaries, which
are known to developers and can therefore avoid the pitfalls of RPC type
abstractions.

Although I am not a REST expert, I believe that this can be done while
respecting REST by creating a Queue resource. The only side effect is
that in those cases, where one can also imagine multiple protocols to
access to those queue resources, it might be beneficial to store
operation, correlation, transaction and other context information inside
the SOAP message so that it is transport agnostic...This does not seem
to please everyone.

Cheers,

Edwin