Re: OWL reasoner, validator, editor ...

The programming language analogy might be useful here.

A validator is a tool that checks if your ontology (program) is
syntactically correct OWL Lite/DL/Full (will compile). Tools like
Protege and OilEd help you to produce syntactically correct OWL
ontologies (programs that are guaranteed to compile).

Even if an ontology (program) is syntactically correct, reasoning over
the ontology (running the program) may reveal logical inconsistencies
(run time errors). Although not strictly illegal syntax, it is pretty
useful if my validator/editor (compiler) warns me when I write
something like "A and not A" (x/0) that it is obviously inconsistent
(will obviously cause a run time error).

I know that the analogy isn't perfect, but hopefully it helps.

Ian