RE: [protege-discussion] Re: Roles and Classes

Bernard Vatant wrote:

> Following my previous question I cc to WebOnt group for further inquiry
[snip]
> I can create the following without problem under Protégé and export it
> in
> OWL syntax.
>
>     <owl:Class rdf:ID="Man"/>
>     <owl:Class rdf:ID="Woman">
>         <owl:disjointWith rdf:resource="#Man"/>
>     </owl:Class>
>     <Man rdf:ID="John"/>
>     <Woman rdf:ID="Linda">
>         <owl:sameAs rdf:resource="#John"/>
>     </Woman>
>
> Which seems clearly inconsistent IMO. This inconsistenvy is not
> detected by
> OWL validators as well, such as http://owl.bbn.com/validator/

It isn't "not detected by OWL validators" at least, not with out
qualification. It's *shouldn't* be detected by syntax checkers, but
Pellet (after a small bug fix) checks it quite easily:

	<http://www.mindswap.org/cgi-bin/2003/pellet/
pelletGet.cgi?inputString=&inputFile=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mindswap.org%2F%7E
bparsia%2Fontologies%2Ftest%2Fdisjoint.owl&conclusionsFile=&classifyForm
at=NONE>

(The demo page: <http://www.mindswap.org/2003/pellet/demo/>
  I made your example into a web document:
<http://www.mindswap.org/~bparsia/ontologies/test/disjoint.owl>)

> So I begin to wonder if this is considered inconsistent,

You begin to wonder because tools not purporting in the least to detect
inconsistency fail to detect an inconsistency? My word processor fails
to detect inconsistency too, believe me ;)

> although at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-guide/#DisjointClasses
>
> it is clearly stated that

Though not normative, I would certainly be inclined toward believing a
spec rather than software (especially software not purporting to
perform the desired task).
[snip]
> So?

What? :)