Re: S&AS review: general remarks

This reply concerns the status of my proof giving between the triples and
the mapping rules.

herman.ter.horst@philips.com wrote:

> I did not review Section 4.3 as it appears in Jeremy's recent
> mail to Webont [1].  Any complete proposal for
> Section 4.3 should be accompanied with a proof that the given
> standalone RDF description of OWL DL and OWL Lite is correct
> given the normative description of OWL DL and OWL Lite as
> the outcome of the mappings from the abstract syntax.
> [1] does not contain such a proof.
> Is there an idea how to complete this version of Section 4.3
> with such a proof, given that the mapping rules and
> abstract syntax in S&AS differ from those in Jeremy's earlier
> version?
>
> Herman ter Horst
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0161.html

Short answer:
The proof needs work that I can do within, but not before, the last call
period.

Long answer:

The last version of the proof that I worked on is in the CVS history of

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/syntaxTF/prolog/out/dl/proof1.html

I will dig it out and put it back as the current version.

However, it suffers from:

+  i's not dotted and t's not crossed
   I suspect there is another couple of days work on that front.
+  the syntax it is based on is not identical to Peter's.
   The differences are now entirely stylistic:
    the two priciple ones being
     + use of classID(uriref) instead of classID etc.
     + use of one ontology with multiple headers instead of multiple ontologies
+ there are also some unnecessary (and unimportant) differences that need
to be removed.

Of these I might be able to correct the former in the output routines, or
alternatively provide a introductory gloss explaining it away - however my
code will not work without it.

The latter could also possibly be corrected - but it is somewhat ugly; an
introductory gloss explaining it away might be more elegant.

The advantage of not needing either introductory gloss is that I would not
need to duplicate the grammar - however it is convenient/necessary to have
each grammar rule and mapping rule numbered and with an anchor.

Jeremy