Re: Characterising OWL consistency checkers

On March 7, Jim Hendler writes:

> At 18:02 +0000 3/7/03, Ian Horrocks wrote:
> >On March 7, Jim Hendler writes:
>
> >[snip
>

> >Because ALL datatypes/values are interpreted, an OWL reasoner MUST
> >"deal with" all datatypes. This isn't a big overhead because
> >unsupported datatypes can be treated in a uniform and very lightweight
> >manner. If a reasoner claims to support a given datatype, AND it
> >claims to be complete, then it has to do more work w.r.t. that
> >datatype (the MT formalises just what it has to do).
>
> yes, but remember that many of our readers won't know this, and thus
> I just want to make sure someone says it in novice-understandable
> form in our document.  I did very much like what you wrote, wasn't
> being critical

OK - fair enough. I can try to come up with a few more words.

> >>    but we need some decision on this
> >
> >The decision as to which datatypes (if any) MUST be supported by all
> >OWL reasoners is obviously one that has to be made by the working
> >group. My suggestion is that we make this a fairly short (possibly
> >zero length) list.
>
> actually, I think your ACTION item was to take a first stab at making
> a suggestion.  If you want to suggest zero length, that woudl address
> your action.  I probably prefer string and integer, but could live
> with none.

Agreed. Wording could be:

  An OWL consistency checker MUST support at least the following XMLS
  datatypes: integer, string.

There is an issue as to whether we want to include all the sub-types
if integer in this list, e.g., int and byte. There is also the
question of whether we want to add anything about additional datatypes
that OWL "should" support? E.g.:

  An OWL consistency checker SHOULD also support the following XMLS
  datatypes: ...

Ian