Re: The overview document: individual as an RDFS feature?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Deborah L. McGuinness" <dlm@ksl.Stanford.EDU>
To: "Jeff Z. Pan" <pan@cs.man.ac.uk>
Cc: <www-webont-wg@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: The overview document: individual as an RDFS feature?

> thx for the review.
>
> the overview document uses individual and class without namespace
> prefixes - thus those are in the owl namespace.

I understand this point (thx), but just not sure why individual is counted as a
feature of RDFS. In my opinion, it seems that individual is not in the same
situation as class. Although owl:Class and rdfs:Class are not the same,
rdfs:Class *is* defined in RDFS. So it is more than ok to say class is a feature
of RDFS, while in the case of individual, it seems to be a bit confusing.

Jeff

>in section 2 it points out
> "Prefixes of rdf: or rdfs: are used when terms are already present in
> RDF or RDF Schema. Otherwise terms are introduced by OWL. Thus, the term
> rdfs:subPropertyOf indicates that subPropertyOf is already in the rdfs
> vocabulary (technically : the rdfs namespace). Also, the term Class is
> more precisely stated as owl:Class and is a term introduced by OWL.
> "
>
> deborah
>
> Jeff Z. Pan wrote:
>
> >In section 2.1 of the overview document, "individual" is listed as one of the
RDF
> >Schema features.
> >
> >However, when I checked the updated versions of RDF/XML Syntax Specification
> >(Revised) [1], RDF Vocabulary Description Language 1.0: RDF Schema [2], and
RDF