Re: AW: 'xsd:redefine' removed from XML presentation syntax Schemas

Hello Raphael,

The presentation syntax Schema uses local declaration
of element, which is allowed in XML Schema but not
allowed in DTD.  So, the same element names (e.g.,
Class and Individual) may have different attributes
and content element depending on the context.

For example,

 1: <owls:Class owls:name="Student" owls:complete="false">
 2:   <owls:Class owls:name="Thing" />
 3:   <owls:ObjectRestriction owls:property="child"
 4:                           owls:maxCardinality="1">
 5:     <owls:allValuesFrom owls:class="Person" />
 6:   </owls:ObjectRestriction>

The 'olws:Class' in the lines 1 and 2 have the same
element name, are defined as different elements.
On the other hand, the attribute name 'olws:class'
(the line 5) can be distinguished from the element
names (the lines 1 and 2) taking account of the
case (uppler/lower) of the initial letter.

So, I'm afraid the syntactic ambiguity you mentened
came not from the name dupulication between names of
element and attribute, but from the use of local e
lement declarations (which allow to define different
elements with the same name).

Is that right?

-Masahiro

Masahiro Hori, Ph.D.
Group Leader, Programming Models & Tools,
IBM Tokyo Research Laboratory
Tel: +81-46-215-4667 / Fax: +81-46-274-4282
Email: horim@jp.ibm.com

                      "Raphael Volz"
                      <volz@aifb.uni-ka        To:       Masahiro Hori/Japan/IBM@IBMJP
                      rlsruhe.de>              cc:       <www-webont-wg@w3.org>
                                               Subject:  AW: 'xsd:redefine' removed from XML presentation syntax
                      2003/02/07 20:08          Schemas

Hi Masahiro,

there is a little "syntactic disambiguity" in your schemas
wrt. of usage of the name "class". You use it for an attribute name
and an element name. If you change it to two different names, existing
data-binding frameworks like jbind.org, SUN's jaxb and exolab castor
can be used without further user modification, that is defining own
data mapping policies.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Best regards,

Raphael Volz