Re: possible semantic bugs concerning domain and range

From: "Jonathan Borden" <jonathan@openhealth.org>
Subject: Re: possible semantic bugs concerning domain and range
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 20:07:52 -0400

> Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>

> > Yes, and you get that, because ex:OddInteger is still a range of foo.
> > However, ex:integer is also a range of foo.
> >
> > Think of what happens if you assert
> >
> >  foo rdfs:range ex:OddInteger .
> >  ex:OddInteger rdfs:subClassOf ex:Integer .
> >  foo rdfs:range ex:Integer .
> >
> > Aside from the actual rdfs:range stuff, this has the same interpretations
> > as
> >
> >  foo rdfs:range ex:OddInteger .
> >  ex:OddInteger rdfs:subClassOf ex:Integer .
> >
> > so why shouldn't a range of foo be ex:Integer?
> >

> because
>
> (first we are not asserting
> foo rdfs:range ex:Integer .
> as a premise)

This is supposed to be a rationale?  By the same reasoning, we should not
conclude

	John rdf:type Person .

from

	John rdfs:type Student .
	Student rdfs:subClassOf Person .

> ex:EvenInteger rdfs:subClassOf ex:Integer .
> ex:EvenInteger owl:DisjointWith ex:OddInteger .
>
> hence if
>
> foo rdfs:range ex:OddInteger .
>
> then
>
> NOT foo rdfs:range ex:EvenInteger .
>
> but if
>
> foo rdfs:range ex:Integer
>
> then
>
> foo rdfs:range ex:EvenInteger .
>
> (triple speak is getting tedious ...)
>
> that is to say, that rdfs:range should chain _down_ rdfs:subClassOf but _not
> up_ rdfs:subClassOf

What?  This is nonsense.

Using this bizare reasoning I could conclude that

	p rdfs:range owl:Nothing .

for every OWL object-valued property.  Which would imply that there are no
triples for any OWL object-valued property.