Re: archive copies [was: AGENDA: May 30 telecon]

On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 12:27, Evan Wallace wrote:

> Dan Connolly wrote:
> >I just sent a copy of the above to www-archive, which makes
> >it available at:
> >
> >http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2002May/att-0021/01-_owl.html
> >

> >I'd prefer that folks submitted materials to the WG by
> >that mechanism (i.e. send it to www-archive, then
>
> By what mechanism

Send mail
	To: www-archive@w3.org
and attach the file, using regular MIME attachments.

> and in what form?

HTML, usually. see also:

  W3C Guidelines for Email Attachment Formats
  http://www.w3.org/2002/03/email_attachment_formats.html

> >send a pointer to www-webont-wg) rather than sending
> >pointers to your personal web space.
>
> Does the archive server reply with the URL for accessing the archived
> document?

No, it just makes the message available via HTTP, just
like mail sent to www-webont-wg@w3.org is available
under
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/
somewhere. After you send the message, you have
to go hunt for the address of the attachment.

You can send attachments to www-webont-wg; that meets
the archive requirements. Some folks prefer that,
since when they're travelling, they get attachments
but not stuff that's pointed to with a URI.

But I prefer that large stuff is handled via www-archive.

>  A simple pointer to instructions for this service would probably
> eliminate all my silly questions about this.

It's just sorta surprising... nobody asked questions
about how to use www-webont-wg; they just did it.

Our documentation about mailing lists is at
  http://www.w3.org/Mail/Lists