Re: ISSUE: Malformed DAML+OIL Restrictions

At 2:35 PM -0400 5/16/02, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>TITLE:       Malformed DAML+OIL Restrictions
>	     Restrictions with missing components (e.g., a
>	     restriction with no daml:onProperty triple) have no
>	     semantic impact, even though treating them as RDF would
>	     indicate that there should be some semantic import.
>	     Restrictions with extra components (e.g., a restriction with
>	     daml:onProperty triples to more than one property) have
>	     unusual and misleading semantic impact (in general equating
>	     the extensions of two or more well-formed restrictions).
>
>	     Both of these should be syntactically illegal in OWL.
>RAISED BY:   Peter F. Patel-Schneider
>STATUS:	     RAISED

Peter - issues shouldn't include solutions (i.e.  that these should
be syntactically illegal in OWL) - maybe "Perhaps both of these
should..." would be better wording?

Also, please explain what you mean by syntactically illegal?  My
understanding is that we decided we would use RDF/XML as the exchange
language, and triples graphs to convey meaning, so how would you keep
these from being syntactically expressible?  Semantically illegal I
understand, syntactically I don't understand
  thanks
  JH

AV Williams Building, Univ of Maryland		  College Park, MD 20742
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler