From: "Frank van Harmelen" <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>
To: "webont" <www-webont-wg@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, 19 January 2002 6:42 am
Subject: Re: F2F: The requirements vote

> Enrico Motta wrote:
> >
> > Jim,
> >
> > for those of us who were not at the meeting, can you provide some
> > additional clarification on teh requirement spec for OWL.  I guess the
proposed
> > requirements are to be interpreted as additional requirements on top of
what daml+oil
> > already provides.  is this correct? And I guess I should also infer that
what is not
> > currently in daml+oil and is not listed below is not going to be in OWL.
Is this is
> > also a correct inference?
>
> I would like to have it stated clearly on this public mailing list that
the straw poll that Jim reported on was really just that, a straw poll. I
think this is what Jim meant when he wrote "vote" in emphatic quotes.

> As an exercise during the meeting, we tried to prioritise the requirements
by collecting rough "votes" in favour or against each of these requirements,
but it was stated explicitly that this was an informal poll. It would be
very undesirable if the results of the straw poll were now interpreted as a
"final and definitive vote on the requirements for OWL". Because of the time
pressure of the discussion, many requirements on the list remained unclear
to many of those present (including myself).