Re: REQDOC: ontologies as resources

>From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
>Subject: Re: REQDOC: ontologies as resources
>Date: 14 Feb 2002 15:20:32 -0600
>
>>  On Thu, 2002-02-14 at 12:43, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>  > In a message expressing my concerns with the requirements document, I
>>  > argued that it is premature to require that ontologies be resources, at
>>  > least if by resource, we mean an RDF resource, i.e., elements of
>>the domain
>>  > of discourse that can be used just like any other element of the domain of
>>  > discourse.
>>
>>  Hmm... it seems to me:
>>
>>    1. Ontologies are documents
>>    2. documents are in the domain of discourse
>>	e.g. we can use the dublin core title
>>	property ala
>>	<http://www.w3.org/> dc:title "W3C".
>>  hence
>>
>>    3. Ontologies are in the domain of discourse
>>
>>  I'm interested to know which part of that argument you'd disagree with.
>
>I would, instead say that
>
>    1. Ontologies can be encoded as documents (or collections of documents).
>    2. Documents are in the domain of discourse.

OK, the way to resolve this is to define 'ontology'. Like Dan, I was
assuming that the use of 'ontology' in this thread was intended to
mean that an ontology was a document. So let's say that ontology
*documents* can be in the domain of discourse, would that be OK with
you?

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes