DOCUMENT: Layering document review (was Re: UPDATE: status of longer version of layering document)

At 1:58 PM -0500 2/12/02, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>As alluded to in the 7 Feb telecon, the layering document is likely to
>become a working note (?) of the WG.  My understanding is that this status
>will make it a semi-official statement of the working group's collective
>wisdom.
>
>I'm not sure how much heat and/or light is required before this can happen,
>but the obvious time for WG members to contribute is before or during the
>21 Feb telecon (preferably before).   So, if you have comments, criticisms,
>or corrections, please voice them soon.
>
>A slightly-updated version of the document is now available at
>
>http://www-db.research.bell-labs.com/user/pfps/webont/layering/layering.html
>
>I expect this URL to remain until the document becomes finalized.  It can
>be referenced from, for example, the WebOnt WG page.
>
>Both Dieter and I consider this version of the document to be relatively
>stable, and a relatively final version of our thoughts and the discussion
>at the first face-to-face.

Working Group - Peter and Dieter have now completed their action to
create a document discussing the layering issue and what can be done
about it.  Please review this document and send your comments to the
WG list - we'll go with Peter's deadline - please have it reviewed by
midnight Feb 20, so we can discuss on Feb 21 and decide whether to
submit this as a W3C note of some kind.

>The *next* step, of course, is to decide on which layering approach to use.

Umm, I think the *next* step is to get some people working on some
specific proposals - not to have a general discussion of approach, we
need to have specific proposals on the table to discuss and move
through.

>I am delaying throwing out the ceremonial grenade for this next step until
>the current document has been at least somewhat assimilated.  However, if
>you can't wait, don't let my (unusual) reticence dissuade you.  :-)

let the discussion begin, based on discussions I've had with some
other WG chairs, I suspect we'll need to create some sort of "task
force" in which we ask for some volunteers to come up with one or
more solutions to present to the group.

*** Please think about whether you might want to be on such the
subgroup to work on this!

AV Williams Building, Univ of Maryland		  College Park, MD 20742