Re: UPDATE: longer version of layering document

Peter and Dieter,

NIT: I don't think your example (Fig. 2) depicts what you say it should,
in the text following the figure, i.e., "herbivore as a class, which is
a sub-class of animal and disjunct to all carnivores."
But perhaps you intend it simply as a contentless template and we should
imagine the content?

The real issue in your document is the semantic Russell-like paradox,
no? If Peter's one suggestion below, i.e.,

1/ Move rdf:type out of the theory into the metatheory

is agreed to by the RDF/S folks, that would remove the thorniest issue,
no?

Thanks,
Leo

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" wrote:

> From: "Jos De_Roo" <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
> Subject: Re: UPDATE: longer version of layering document
> Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 15:41:45 +0100
>
> > >PS:  Here are (most of) my proposed changes to RDF:
> > >1/ Move rdf:type out of the theory into the metatheory
> > >2/ Remove reification.
> > >3/ Remove containers.
> > >4/ Remove several syntax abbreviations.
> > >I want 2 and 3 removed because they don't have appropriate meaning. I want
> > >4 removed because it interferes with the correspondence between RDF and
> > >XML. I want 1 moved because it causes semantic paradoxes in more-powerful
> > >formalisms.
> >
> > 1/ could you clarify? i.e. how would a theory a la
> >    http://www.agfa.com/w3c/euler/rdfs-rules.n3 be impacted?
> > 2/ RDFCore should clarify e.g. http://www.agfa.com/w3c/euler/rdfr-theory.n3
> > 2/ RDFCore should clarify
> > 4/ such as?
> >
> > --
> > Jos
>
> 1/ Well, it would just about be trashed completely.   :-)
>    Moving rdf:type out of the theory changes just about everything.
>
> 4/ Well, the abbreviation that breaks striping is particularly problematic
>    when considering XML compatability.  This abbreviation changes the
>    meaning of RDF/XML in a particularly hard-to-account-for way.
>
> peter

Dr. Leo Obrst		The MITRE Corporation
mailto:lobrst@mitre.org Intelligent Information Management/Exploitation
Voice: 703-883-6770	7515 Colshire Drive, M/S W640
Fax: 703-883-1379       McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA