Re: UPDATE: longer version of layering document

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Subject: Re: UPDATE: longer version of layering document
Date: 08 Feb 2002 16:24:08 -0600

> On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 10:27, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > Dieter and I have put together the promised longer version of the layering
> > document.  It is available at
> >
> > http://www-db.research.bell-labs.com/user/pfps/semantic-web/layering.html
>
> "Given that the most attractive layering solution is not possible ..."
>
> Hmm... at the ftf you didn't conclude that it wasn't possible;
> only that it wasn't straightforward. I don't see anything
> in this paper that wasn't discussed at the meeting, so
> I don't see how you come to the stronger conclusion.
>
> Why doesn't section 5 discuss the possibilities for resolving
> the paradox? An axiom of foundations, intuitionistic logic,
> etc. The 4 possibilities discussed at the ftf
> meeting seem to have dwindled to 3.

One possibility would be to change RDF Schema in some way, perhaps by
modifying the way rdfs:Class, etc., work.  Do we want to include this
possiblity explicitly in the document?

However, I don't believe that the same-syntax extension is possible without
modifying RDF Schema, and  that would fit into one of the other options.